Friday, October 16, 2009

A Few Words is All it Takes

It recently came to my attention that I've lived on the north side of Atlanta for nearly 10 years. Oddly enough, it still doesn't feel much like home, but every day, Michael and I drive past the Spruill Art Gallery. It is situated on the corner of Ashford Dunwoody Rd and Meadow, very near our apartment. As long as I can remember, they've rotated out colorful mural installations on the side of a shed beside the gallery, the sight of which brightens the intersection and has always filled me with joy.
Earlier this year, the murals were replaced with the words "Everything will be ok" in black paint on a dingy white background. Initially, I disliked the sign. I felt that whoever painted it had taken all of the color and joy of the murals away and dumped this black and white "blah" in their place. But then… it hasn't exactly been an easy year. Bad days have been followed by worse months, and many are in far dire situations than we. There was a particularly bad day that we passed the sign and I read it- perhaps really understood the words for the first time and had to hold back a few tears. The words do not promise that everything is going to be super-duper awesome tomorrow. They don't sugar coat the situation, or pretend that things aren't bad. They simply state that it will be ok. We will manage. We will get by as we always have and there will be a brighter day than today. Not perfect, but ok. There is a lot of comfort in those words and I deeply appreciate the individual that painted them there. In the months since, they have lifted my spirits on many occasions, and I can only imagine how many others they have touched by their sincerity and truth.

10 comments:

Rainy Day Gardener said...

Great visual ~ awesome post!

Unknown said...

I actually love this. It is bold and to the point, a fantastic message!

Erica said...

Now imagine if it were a colorful sign!

No, I am just kidding. It is amazing how important these words are. My husband gets very stressed out sometimes, and about two years, he was unemployed for over a year. I was also got pregnant. As you can imagine that was hard on him.

I told him everything would be ok, pretty regularly, and now things are pretty great.

This was a wonderful post.

Anonymous said...

I love this sign and your post. It made me feel better seeing it and reading your post. Thanks for sharing it!

Christine said...

What a great message! I'm so glad it helped you. I often have to tell myself, over and over, that everything WILL be ok.

Love your blog. Will be coming back to visit again soon :)

♥ xtine
http://www.stuffbyxtine.com

Celeste Jean said...

reminds me of some more light hearted jenny holzer.

Jonathan Rhodes said...

What a wonderful post. I really enjoyed reading it. When I was a college student I was used to being poor and living cheaply. Now being a recent college grad, that transition into the real world feels pretty much the same.

It's good to be able to know that things will be ok. I think I'll start to include images like these on my posts.

Thanks for making my day.

Unknown said...

Hi! Just found your blog by clicking next blog about ten times lol. When I first saw the picture at the top of the post I thought, "that's sort of a weird thing to put on the side of a building", but now that I've read your post- I love it !

Aunt Karen's Creations said...

I just "landed" on your blog and read this post. It is an uplifting post for sure! I thank you.

Clare Actman said...

What a brilliant idea.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online